The Stephen Ministry is a confidential, lay-person ministry grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another. Those who are hurting receive love and support through one-to-one caring relationships. The ministry is named after Stephen, one of the first deacons in the early Christian church, commissioned by the apostles to care for the needs of people in the Christian community.
A Stephen Minister…
- Is a child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting.
- Is a caring, Christian friend who takes the time to really listen.
- Is a lay Christian selected, trained, and supervised by Stephen
Leaders to provide effective Christian care.
- Makes a commitment including 50 hours of training, ongoing supervisory meetings, and an average of one 1-hour visit per week with the person receiving care.
- Recognizes this as a confidential ministry.
A Stephen Minister is not
- A counselor or therapist
- A problem-solver
- A casual visitor
Stephen Ministers are Caregivers … God is the CUREGIVER
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, and to share God’s love can help you get through the confusion, stress, or loneliness that you may be experiencing.
Stephen Ministers are lay men and women from our congregation who have developed their gifts for bringing the concern and care of Christ’s community to people in need. If you would like to become a Stephen minister, or are in need of a Stephen minister, please contact the church office (908) 233-0301
CLICK HERE for more information